NounScorch (plural scorches)
- A slight or surface burn.
- A discolouration caused by heat.
- Brown discoloration on the leaves of plants caused by heat, lack of water or by fungi.
- (transitive) To burn the surface of something so as to discolour it
- (transitive) To wither, parch or destroy something by heat or fire, especially to make land or buildings unusable to an enemy
- (intransitive) To become scorched or singed
- (intransitive) To move at high speed (so as to leave scorch marks on the ground)
Adverbs for Scorch
superficially; ruinously; hopelessly; carelessly; partially; markedly; obviously.
abrade, abrasion, air-dry, anhydrate, assail, attack, attaint, bake, ball the jack, bark, barrel, be in heat, bedaub, besmear, besmirch, besmoke, bestain, blacken, blaze, blemish, blister, bloody, bloom, blot, blur, boil, boom, bowl along, brand, break, breeze, breeze along, broil, brush, burn, burn in, burn off, cast, castigate, cauterize, chafe, char, check, chip, choke, claw, clip, coal, combust, concussion, cook, crack, crackle, craze, cupel, cure, cut, cut along, darken, daub, dehumidify, dehydrate, desiccate, dirty, discolor, drain, dry, evaporate, excoriate, exsiccate, fire, flame, flame up, flare, flare up, flash burn, flay, fleet, flicker, flit, flush, fly, fly low, foot, found, fracture, fray, frazzle, fret, fry, fustigate, gall, gash, gasp, glow, go fast, highball, hurt, incandesce, incise, incision, injure, injury, insolate, kiln, lacerate, laceration, lash, lesion, maim, make knots, make mincemeat of, mark, mat burn, maul, melt, mortal wound, mummify, mutilate, mutilation, nip, outstrip the wind, oxidate, oxidize, pant, parch, pierce, plot, pour it on, puncture, pyrolyze, radiate heat, rend, rent, rip, roast, rub, run, rupture, savage, scald, scarify, scathe, scotch, scourge, scrape, scratch, scuff, sear, second-degree burn, seethe, shimmer with heat, shrivel, simmer, singe, sizzle, skim, skin, skin alive, slash, slit, slubber, slur, smear, smirch, smoke, smolder, smother, soak up, soil, solder, sore, spark, speed, sponge, sprain, stab, stab wound, stain, steam, stew, stick, stifle, stigmatize, storm along, strain, suffocate, sun, sun-dry, sunburn, sunscald, swab, sweat, sweep, swelter, swinge, taint, tarnish, tear, tear along, third-degree burn, thunder along, toast, torrefy, towel, trauma, traumatize, trounce, vesicate, vulcanize, weazen, weld, whisk, whiz, windburn, wipe, wither, wizen, wound, wounds immedicable, wrench, zing, zip, zoom
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)tʃ
- “scorch” in the Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper, 2001