- Preventing, hindering, or acting as an obstacle to.
- Carried out to deter military aggression.
- Slowing the development of an illness; prophylactic.
NounPreventive (plural Preventives)
- (nonstandard) A thing that prevents, hinders, or acts as an obstacle to.
- (nonstandard) A thing that slows the development of an illness.
- A contraceptive, especially a condom.
Adjectives for Preventive
continual; effectual; admirable; extraordinary. adverbs highly; successfully; presumably; helpfully; usefully; actively; moderately; prudently; remarkably; uncommonly; usually; supposedly; credibly; possibly; unquestionably; sometimes.
aegis, antacid, anticipative, anticipatory, antidote, arm guard, backstop, barrier, block, buffer, bulwark, bumper, contraceptive, copyright, counteractant, counteractive, counteragent, counterirritant, countermeasure, covering, crash helmet, curb, cushion, custodial, dashboard, defensive, deterrent, deterring, discouraging, dodger, ethnocentric, exceptional, excluding, exclusive, exclusory, face mask, fender, finger guard, foot guard, forbidding, forestalling, fostering, fuse, goggles, governor, guard, guardian, guarding, guardrail, hampering, hand guard, handrail, hard hat, helmet, hindering, hindrance, immunizing, impediment, impeding, inadmissible, inhibiting, inhibition, inhibitive, inhibitory, inoculant, inoculum, insular, insulation, interdictive, interdictory, interlock, knee guard, knuckle guard, laminated glass, life preserver, lifeline, lightning conductor, lightning rod, mask, mudguard, narrow, neutralizer, nose guard, nullifier, obstacle, obstruction, offset, pad, padding, palladium, parental, parochial, patent, pilot, precautionary, preclusive, prescriptive, preventative, prevention, prohibiting, prohibitive, prohibitory, prophylactic, proscriptive, protecting, protection, protective, protective clothing, protective umbrella, remedy, repressive, restraining, restrictive, safeguard, safeguarding, safety, safety glass, safety plug, safety rail, safety shoes, safety switch, safety valve, screen, screening, seat belt, seclusive, segregative, select, selective, separative, serum, sheltering, shield, shielding, shin guard, snobbish, sun helmet, suppressive, tutelary, umbrella, vaccine, vigilant, watchful, windscreen, windshield, xenophobic
- Preventive is in all senses synonymous with preventative. Many speakers prefer to use preventive in adjective senses and preventative in noun senses.
- Feminine plural form of preventivo