- Fitting its definition precisely.
- a perfect circle
- Having all of its parts in harmony with a common purpose.
- That bucket with the hole in the bottom is a poor bucket, but it is perfect for watering plants.
- Thoroughly skilled or talented.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Excellent and delightful in all respects.
- a perfect day
- (grammar, of a tense or verb form) Representing a completed action.
- (biology) Sexually mature and fully differentiated.
- (botany) Having both male (stamens) and female (carpels) parts.
- (analysis) Of a set, that it is equal to its set of limit points, i.e. set A is perfect if A=A'.
- (fitting its definition precisely): accurate, flawless
- (thoroughly skilled or talented): expert, proficient
- (biology: sexually mature and fully differentiated): mature
- (botany: having both male and female parts): bisexual, hermaphroditic
- See also Thesaurus:flawless
- (transitive) To make perfect; to improve or hone.
- I am going to perfect this article.
- You spend too much time trying to perfect your dancing.
- (law) To take an action, usually the filing of a document in the correct venue, that secures a legal right.
- perfect an appeal; perfect an interest; perfect a judgment
KO, OK, absolute, accomplish, accomplished, accurate, achieve, adept, admitting no exception, adroit, all right, all-embracing, all-encompassing, all-out, all-pervading, ameliorate, aorist, appropriate, apt, arrant, authentic, beautify, best, better, beyond all praise, blameless, born, broad-based, button up, call off, cancel, cap, carry out, carry through, carry to completion, categorical, chaste, classical, clean, clean up, clear, climax, close out, close up, complete, comprehensive, conclude, conclusive, congenital, consummate, correct, crass, crown, culminate, cultivate, dead right, decided, decisive, deep-dyed, defectless, definite, definitive, deft, delete, determinate, develop, dispose of, do to perfection, downright, drop the curtain, durative, dyed-in-the-wool, effect, egregious, elaborate, embellish, emend, end, end off, entire, evolve, exact, exceed, excel, excellent, execute, exhaustive, experienced, expert, explicit, express, expunge, exquisite, extinguish, faultless, final, finalize, finish, finish off, finish up, finished, fit, fitting, fixed, flagrant, flat, flat-out, flawless, fold up, fulfilled, full, fully realized, future, future perfect, get done, get it over, get over with, get through, get through with, gifted, give the quietus, glaring, global, go one better, gross, historical present, holy, ideal, illimitable, immaculate, impeccable, imperfect, implicit, improve, improve on, inappealable, incomparable, indefectible, indefective, indisputable, infallible, inimitable, intact, integral, intensive, intolerable, irreproachable, just, just right, kayo, kibosh, kill, knock out, letter-perfect, lifelike, limitless, masterful, masterly, matchless, mature, mere, meticulous, model, mop up, needed, no strings, nonpareil, okay, omnibus, omnipresent, open, out-and-out, outright, outweigh, overbalance, overbear, overcome, overpass, overtop, past, past perfect, peerless, peremptory, perfected, pervasive, plain, plenary, plumb, pluperfect, point tense, polish, polish off, polished, positive, precious, precise, predominate, preponderate, present, present perfect, preterit, prevail, professional, proficient, profound, progressive tense, pronounced, proper, pure, put paid to, put right, radical, rank, realize, rectify, refine, regular, reliable, required, requisite, right, righteous, ripen, round, round out, scrag, season, set right, shattering, sheer, shocking, shoot down, simple, sinless, skilled, sleek, slick, smooth, sound, spotless, stainless, stark, stark-staring, straight, straight-out, straight-up-and-down, sublime, suitable, superb, superlative, supreme, surpass, surpassing, sweeping, taintless, talented, tense, terminate, the veriest, thorough, thoroughgoing, through-and-through, top, top off, top out, total, tower above, tower over, transcend, true, trump, ubiquitous, unadulterated, unalloyed, unbearable, unblemished, unbound, unbounded, unbroken, uncircumscribed, unconditional, unconditioned, unconfined, unconscionable, uncontaminated, undamaged, undeniable, undiluted, undoubting, unequivocal, unerring, unexcelled, unfaultable, unflawed, unhampered, unhesitating, unimpaired, uninjured, universal, unlimited, unmatched, unmeasured, unmistakable, unmitigated, unmixed, unqualified, unquestioning, unrelieved, unreserved, unrestricted, unspoiled, unspotted, untainted, unwaivable, utter, veritable, very, whole, wholesale, wide-open, wind up, wipe out, without exception, without reserve, without strings, wrap up, zap
From Middle English perfit, from Old French parfit (modern: parfait), from Latin perfectus, perfect passive participle of perficere (“to finish”), from per- (“through, thorough”) + facere (“to do, to make”).
- (UK) IPA: /ˈpɜː(ɹ).fɪkt/, /ˈpɜː(ɹ).fɛkt/, SAMPA: /"p3:(r).fIkt/, /"p3:(r).fEkt/
- (US) IPA: /ˈpɝːfɪkt/, /ˈpɝːfɛkt/, SAMPA: /"p3`:fIkt/, /"p3:fEkt/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- (UK) IPA: /pə(ɹ)ˈfɛkt/, SAMPA: /p@(r)"fEkt/
- (US) IPA: /pɚˈfɛkt/, SAMPA: /p@`"fEkt/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- The translations below need to be checked.
Perfect (not comparable)
Perfect 4 nom/acc forms
- IPA: [perˈfekt]