Opiate (not comparable)
- Relating to, resembling, or containing opium.
- Soporific; inducing sleep or sedation.
- Deadening; causing apathy or dullness.
NounOpiate (plural Opiates)
- A drug, hormone or other substance derived from or related to opium.
- Something that dulls the senses and induces a false and unrealistic sense of contentment.
- (transitive) To treat with an opiate drug.
Verbs for Opiate
addict to—s; administer—; inject—; —allays; —alleviates; —anaesthetizes; —balms; —eases; —lulls; —narcotizes; —numbs; — paralyzes; —restrains; —soothes; —tranquillizes.
Amytal, Amytal pill, Demerol, Dolophine, H, Luminal, Luminal pill, M, Mickey Finn, Nembutal, Nembutal pill, Seconal, Seconal pill, Tuinal, Tuinal pill, accept, alcohol, amobarbital sodium, analgesic, anesthetic, anodyne, barb, barbiturate, barbiturate pill, believe, black stuff, blue, blue angel, blue devil, blue heaven, blue velvet, calmative, chloral hydrate, codeine, codeine cough syrup, consider, depressant, depressor, dolly, dope, downer, drug, goofball, hard stuff, heroin, hold, hop, horse, hypnotic, judge, junk, knockout drop, knockout drops, laudanum, liquor, lotus, lullaby, mandrake, meperidine, methadone, morphia, morphine, narcotic, nightcap, opinion, opium, pacifier, pain killer, pain-killer, paregoric, pen yan, phenobarbital, phenobarbital sodium, poppy, purple heart, quietener, rainbow, red, regard, scag, secobarbital sodium, sedative, shit, sleep-bringer, sleep-inducer, sleep-producer, sleeper, sleeping draught, sleeping pill, sleepy, smack, sodium thiopental, somnifacient, somniferous, soother, soothing syrup, soporific, speculate, tar, think, tranquilizer, turps, view, white stuff, yellow, yellow jacket
- vocative masculine singular of opiātus