From zikkir
Jump to: navigation, search



Invert (third-person singular simple present Inverts, present participle Inverting, simple past and past participle Inverted)

  1. (transitive) To turn (something) upside down or inside out.
  2. (transitive, music) To move (the root note of a chord) up or down an octave, resulting in a change in pitch.

Derived terms

Related terms


Invert (plural Inverts)
  1. (archaic) A homosexual man.
  2. (architecture) An inverted arch (as in a sewer). *
  3. The base of a tunnel on which the road or railway may be laid and used when construction is through unstable ground. It may be flat or form a continuous curve with the tunnel arch. [1]
  4. (civil engineering) The lowest point inside a pipe at a certain point.
  5. (civil engineering) An elevation of a pipe at a certain point along the pipe.

Adverbs for Invert

confusingly; perplexingly; complicatedly; abnormally; eccentrically; characteristically; humorously; habitually.


auntie, bi-guy, bisexual, bull dyke, butch, catamite, change, chicken, convert, dyke, evert, fag, faggot, fairy, femme, flip, flit, fricatrice, fruit, gunsel, homo, homophile, homosexual, homosexualist, introvert, intussuscept, invaginate, inverse, lesbian, nance, pansy, pathic, pronate, punk, queen, queer, resupinate, reverse, revert, revolve, rotate, sapphist, supinate, transplace, transpose, tribade, turn, turn about, turn around, turn down, turn in, turn inside out, turn out, turn over, turn the scale, turn the tables, turn upside down


  • (verb):
    • (UK) IPA: /ɪnˈvɜːt/, SAMPA: /In"v3:t/
    • (US) enPR: ĭn-vərtʹ, IPA: /ɪnˈvɝt/, SAMPA: /In"v3`t/
    • Rhymes: -ɜː(r)t



See also

60px The Tea room(+) is discussing this Entry at the moment.
Please come along and share your opinions on this and the other topics being discussed there. The user who started this topic summarised the issue as: “what is the difference?”



  1. invert (in'‑vert) The floor or bottom of the internal cross section of a closed conduit, such as an aqueduct, tunnel, or drain - The term originally referred to the inverted arch used to form the bottom of a masonry‑lined sewer or tunnel (Jackson, 1997) Wilson, W.E., Moore, J.E., (2003) Glossary of Hydrology, Berlin: Springer