- (transitive) to surrender
- He was surrounded, so gave himself up.
- His friends gave him up to the police.
- (transitive) to stop or desist; to quit
- They gave up the search when it got dark.
- (transitive) to relinquish
- He gave up his seat to an old man.
- 1816: Jane Austen , Emma, Volume 1 Chapter 7
- "You could not have visited me!" she cried, looking aghast. "No, to be sure you could not; but I never thought of that before. That would have been too dreadful!--What an escape!--Dear Miss Woodhouse, I would not give up the pleasure and honour of being intimate with you for any thing in the world."
- (transitive) to lose hope
- They gave him up for dead.
- (transitive) to abandon
- I gave up my faith years ago.
- (intransitive) to admit defeat, to capitulate
- OK, I give up, you win.
abandon, abandon hope, abdicate, abjure, acknowledge defeat, back down, be at sea, be innocent of, be lost, be pensioned, be superannuated, break off combat, break the habit, cave in, cease, cease resistance, cede, come off, coquet with, cry quits, cut out, dabble, demit, desist, desist from, despair, despair of, despond, discontinue, disgorge, dispense with, dispose of, disuse, do without, drop, dump, falter, forgo, forswear, get along without, get rid of, give away, give ground, give in, give over, give up hope, give way, hand, hand over, have done with, have no idea, kick, kiss good-bye, know a little, know not, know not what, know nothing of, lay down, leave, leave off, let go, lose heart, lose hope, make a sacrifice, make nothing of, nol-pros, not know, not pursue with, not rightly know, not understand, part with, pass, pension off, put behind one, quit, quit the field, quitclaim, recant, relinquish, render up, renounce, renounce the throne, resign, retire, retire from office, retract, sacrifice, scratch the surface, shake, sink into despair, smatter, spare, stand aside, stand down, step aside, stop, superannuate, surrender, swear off, take the pledge, throw off, throw up, toy with, vacate, waive, withdraw from, wonder, wonder whether, wot not of, yield, yield to despair