NounChisel (plural Chisels)
- A cutting tool consisting of a slim oblong block of metal with a sharp wedge or bevel formed on one end. It may be provided with a handle at the other end, which is generally perpendicular to, but occasionally parallel to the cutting edge of the tool, depending upon its intended use. It is used to remove parts of stone, wood or metal by placing the sharp edge against the material to be cut and pushing or pounding the other end with a hammer, or mallet. The cutting edge of a chisel is most frequently straight, but may be curved or otherwise shaped (v-shaped, for example), to suit the characteristics of the material being worked, or the shape to be achieved by the chisel's use.
- (intransitive) To use a chisel.
- (transitive) To work something with a chisel.
- She chiselled a sculpture out of the block of wood.
- (intransitive) (informal) To cheat, to get something by cheating.
assemble, autolithograph, bamboozle, be a printmaker, beat, beguile of, bilk, block out, bunco, burn, canal, canalize, carve, cast, chamfer, channel, character, chase, cheat, chouse, chouse out of, cog, cog the dice, con, convert, corrugate, cozen, crack, crease, create, crib, cribble, crimp, crosshatch, cultivate, cut, dado, defraud, diddle, dike, ditch, do, do in, do out of, dupe, efform, enchase, engrave, euchre, extract, fashion, figure, finagle, fix, flam, fleece, flimflam, flute, fob, fool, forge, form, formalize, found, frame, fudge, furrow, gash, grave, groove, grow, gull, gully, gyp, harvest, hatch, have, hew, hocus, hocus-pocus, incise, inscribe, insculpture, knead, knock out, lay out, lick into shape, line, lithograph, machine, make prints, mallet, mark, mill, mine, mint, model, modeling clay, mold, mulct, overreach, pack the deal, pare, pigeon, pleat, plow, point, practice fraud upon, print, process, pump, rabbet, raise, rear, refine, rifle, rook, rough out, roughcast, roughhew, rut, scam, score, scrape, scratch, screw, sculp, sculpt, sculpture, sell gold bricks, set, shape, shave, shortchange, slit, smelt, solder, soldering iron, spatula, stack the cards, stamp, stick, sting, stipple, streak, striate, swindle, tailor, take a dive, thermoform, thimblerig, throw a fight, tool, trench, trick, trough, victimize, weld, work, wrinkle
- Chisel in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Chisel in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- Chisel at OneLook Dictionary Search
- Alternative form of cisel.