NounCane (countable and uncountable; plural Canes)
- (uncountable) The slender, flexible main stem of a plant such as bamboo, including many species in the Grass family Gramineae.
- (uncountable) The plant itself, including many species in the Grass family Gramineae; a reed.
- (uncountable) sugar cane. (US, Southern) Sometimes applied to maize or rarely to sorghum when such plants are processed to make molasses (treacle) or sugar.
- (countable) A short rod or stick, traditionally of wood or bamboo, used for corporal punishment.
- (countable, glassblowing) A length of colored and/or patterned glass rod, used in the specific glassblowing technique called caneworking.
- (uncountable) Corporal punishment by beating with a cane; the cane.
- (countable) A strong short staff used for support or decoration during walking; a walking stick.
- (countable) A long rod often collapsible and commonly white (for visibility to other persons), used by blind persons for guidance in determining their course and for probing for obstacles in their path.
- (UK, slang) To strike or beat, notably with a cane or similar implement; to destroy.
- (UK, slang) To do something well, in a competent fashion.
- (UK, slang third person only) It hurts.
Adjectives for Cane
lithe; long; ebony; ivory-headed; silver-headed; Malacca; gold-headed; slender; impenetrable; light; flexible; leaded; jewelled; silver-topped; beribboned.
Verbs for Cane
beat with―; brandish―; carve―; enamel―; flex―; flog with―; flourish―; jab with―; joint―; lean on―; notch―; poise―; sheathe―; tap with―; utilize―; ―supports.
- (the slender flexible stem of a plant such as bamboo): stem, stalk; (of a tree) trunk
- (the plant itself): reed
- (sugar cane): molasses cane
- (A short rod or stick, traditionally of wood or bamboo, used for corporal punishment): switch, rod
- (corporal punishment by beating with a cane): the cane, a caning, six of the best, whipping
- (strong short staff used for support during walking): staff, walking stick
- (a long rod often collapsible): white cane, blind man's cane
- bamboo cane
- cane knife, cane sugar, caneworking, cane toad
- sugar cane
- walking cane
- white cane, blind man's cane
prop, pummel, quarterstaff, rattan, rawhide, reed, reinforce, reinforcement, reinforcer, rest, resting place, rigging, rod, ruler, scourge, seedstalk, sensory aid, shillelagh, shoulder, shroud, sight-saver type, smite, spank, spear, spine, spire, sprit, staff, stalk, standing rigging, stave, stay, stem, stick, stiffener, stipe, stock, strap, straw, strengthener, string alphabet, stripe, support, supporter, sustainer, swagger stick, swanking stick, swinge, switch, talking book, thrash, thump, tigella, trounce, truncheon, trunk, ultrasonic spectacles, upholder, visagraph, walking stick, wallop, whale, whip, whop, writing frame, writing stamps, advocate, aftergrass, alpenstock, anthrophore, arm, athletic supporter, axis, back, backbone, backing, bamboo, bandeau, baste, bastinado, baton, bearer, beat, belabor, belt, birch, bole, bra, brace, bracer, bracket, brassiere, buffet, buttress, carpophore, carrier, caudex, caulicle, caulis, cereal, cereal plant, cervix, club, corn, corset, cowhide, crook, crosier, cross, cross-staff, crutch, crutch-stick, cudgel, culm, cut, drub, embosser, farinaceous plant, ferule, flagellate, flail, flog, fog, footstalk, forage grass, foundation garment, fulcrum, funicule, funiculus, fustigate, girdle, give a whipping, give the stick, grain, graminaceous plant, grass, guide dog, guy, guywire, handstaff, haulm, high-speed embosser, horsewhip, jock, jockstrap, knout, lace, lash, lawn grass, lay on, leafstalk, line letter, lituus, mainstay, maintainer, mast, neck, noctograph, optophone, ornamental grass, paddle, pandybat, pastoral staff, paterissa, pedicel, peduncle, personal sonar, petiole, petiolule, petiolus, pistol-whip, pommel,