- Rhymes: -ɔːɡə(r)
- Homophone: augur
NounAuger (plural Augers)
- A carpenter's tool for boring holes larger than those bored by a gimlet.
- A snake or plumber's snake (plumbing tool).
- A tool used to bore holes in the ground, e.g. for fence posts
- A hollow drill used to take core samples of soil, ice, etc. for scientific study.
- To use an auger; to drill a hole using an auger.
aculeus; acumination; bit; bore; bore bit; borer; brace and bit; breast auger; breast drill; broach; burr; chamfer bit; corkscrew; cross bit; cusp; diamond drill; drill; drill press; gimlet; hand drill; keyway drill; mucro; neb; needle; nib; point; portable drill; posthole auger; power drill; prick; prickle; pump drill; ratchet drill; reamer; rotary drill; star drill; sting; strap drill; tap; tip; trepan; trephine; twist bit; twist drill; wimble