- IPA: /ˈænθəm/
NounAnthem (plural Anthems)
- (archaic) Antiphon.
- A choral or vocal composition, often with a religious or political lyric.
- The school's anthem sang of its many outstanding qualities, and it was hard to keep a straight face while singing.
- A hymn of praise or loyalty.
- The choir sang a selection of Christmas anthems at the service just before the big day.
- (informal) A very popular song or track.
alba; alleluia; answer; antiphon; antiphony; art song; aubade; ballad; ballade; ballata; barcarole; blues; blues song; boat song; bridal hymn; brindisi; calypso; canso; cantata; canticle; canzone; canzonet; canzonetta; carol; cavatina; chanson; chant; chantey; chorale; church music; croon; croon song; dirge; ditty; doxology; drinking song; epithalamium; folk song; gospel; gospel music; hallelujah; hosanna; hymeneal; hymn; hymn of praise; hymn-tune; hymnody; hymnography; hymnology; introit; laud; lay; lied; lilt; love song; love-lilt; mantra; mass; matin; minstrel song; minstrelsy; motet; national anthem; offertory; offertory sentence; oratorio; paean; passion; prosodion; prothalamium; psalm; psalmody; recessional; report; requiem; requiem mass; response; responsory; sacred music; serena; serenade; serenata; song; spiritual; theme song; torch song; versicle; war song; wedding song; white spiritual