NounAlternative (plural Alternatives)
- A situation which allows a mutually exclusive choice between two or more possibilities.
- A choice between two or more mutually exclusive possibilities.
- One of several mutually exclusive things which can be chosen.
Alternative (not comparable)
- Relating to a choice between two or more possibilities
- Not traditional (an alternative lifestyle)
Adjectives for Alternative
gainful; pleasant; admirable; desperate; intolerable; unthinkable; dire; impossible; practicable; subtle; ghastly; grim; vague; contradictory; undesirable; inescapable; serious.
Verbs for Alternative
arrive at; bewilder with; conceive; confront with; countenance; endorse; explore; extend; mystify by; propose; reject; request; suggest; circumscribes; curbs; lies open; limits; puzzles; remains
Synonyms for Alternative
Antonyms for Alternative
additional; agent; alternate; alternate choice; analogy; another; attainable; backup; change; changeling; choice; comparison; contingency; copy; counterfeit; deputy; different; discretion; discretional; disjunctive; double; druthers; dummy; election; elective; equal; equivalent; ersatz; escape clause; escape hatch; exchange; exchangeable; fake; fill-in; ghost; ghostwriter; imitation; interchangeable; locum tenens; loophole; makeshift; metaphor; metonymy; mock; next best thing; option; optional; optionality; personnel; phony; pinch; pinch hitter; pleasure; possibility; possible choice; preference; pretext; provisional; proxy; relief; replacement; replacing; representative; reserve; reserves; ringer; saving clause; second string; secondary; selection; sign; spare; spares; stand-in; stopgap; sub; substituent; substitute; substitution; succedaneum; superseder; supplanter; surrogate; symbol; synecdoche; temporary; tentative; third string; token; understudy; utility; utility player; variant; vicar; vicarious; vice-president; vice-regent; volitional; voluntary; way of escape; way out; will and pleasure
- alternative dispute resolution
- alternative energy
- alternative lifestyle
- alternative medicine
- alternative vote
- alternate (other; alternative)
- Plural form of alternativa.
- Feminine plural of alternativo
- vocative masculine singular of alternātīvus
- absolute definite natural masculine form of alternativ.