- Worthy of, or causing, abhorrence, as a thing of evil omen; odious in the utmost degree; very hateful; detestable; loathsome; execrable.
- Very bad or inferior.
- (obsolete) Excessive; large; -- used as an intensive.
Adverbs for Abominable
incredibly; intolerably; unbelievably; hatefully; utterly; completely; maliciously; oppressively; brutally; flagrantly; detestably; perniciously; viciously; deplorably; diabolically; execrably; noxiously; lamentably; hatefully; villainously; woefully; odiously; abhorrently; repulsively; invidiously; despicably.
Synonyms for Abominable
Antonyms for Abominable
aberrant; abhorrent; abject; abnormal; accursed; arrant; atrocious; awful; bad; base; beastly; beggarly; below contempt; beneath contempt; black; blamable; blameworthy; brutal; cheesy; contemptible; criminal; crude; crummy; cursed; damnable; dark; debased; degraded; delinquent; deplorable; depraved; despicable; detestable; deviant; dire; dirty; disagreeable; disgraceful; disgusting; distasteful; dreadful; egregious; enormous; evil; execrable; fetid; filthy; flagitious; flagrant; forbidding; foul; frightful; fulsome; grave; grievous; gross; hardly the thing; hateful; heinous; horrible; horrid; ignoble; ignominious; illegal; improper; in bad taste; inappropriate; incorrect; indecorous; infamous; iniquitous; knavish; lamentable; little; loathsome; lousy; low; low-down; lumpen; malodorous; mangy; mean; measly; mephitic; miasmal; miasmic; miserable; monstrous; nasty; naughty; nauseating; nauseous; nefarious; noisome; not done; not the thing; notorious; noxious; objectionable; obnoxious; obscene; odious; off-base; off-color; offensive; out-of-line; outrageous; paltry; peccant; petty; pitiable; pitiful; poky; poor; rank; rebarbative; regrettable; repellent; reprehensible; reprobate; reptilian; repugnant; repulsive; revolting; rotten; sacrilegious; sad; scabby; scandalous; schlock; scrubby; scruffy; scummy; scurvy; shabby; shameful; shameless; shocking; shoddy; sickening; sinful; small; sordid; squalid; stinking; terrible; too bad; unclean; undue; unfit; unfitting; unforgivable; unlawful; unmentionable; unpardonable; unpleasant; unrighteous; unseemly; unspeakable; unsuitable; unworthy; vicious; vile; villainous; wicked; woeful; worst; worthless; wretched; wrong; wrongful
From Middle English, from Old French abominable, from Latin abōminābilis (“deserving abhorrence”), from abōminor (“abhor, deprecate as an ill omen”), from ab (“from, away from”) + ōminor (“forebode, predict, presage”), from ōmen (“sign, token, omen”).
- Nouns to which "abominable" is often applied: man, woman, crime, act, deed, sin, vice, character, place, mystery, treatment, church.
From Latin abōminābilis (“abominable, detestable”).
- Most terms of the second category also have literal meanings closer to that of the first, but are now less common in these uses, as well as marking actions that are not as markedly odious.
- (loathsome): odieux, méprisable, ignoble , sacrilège (religious), impi (religious)
- (exceedingly bad or ugly): laid, détestable, exécrable, horrible